HUANYING 2 TXT HC
The Huanying, Volume 2 textbook covers the second full year of study at the secondary school level. Like Volume 1, the textbook includes 6 units and covers the topics of Transportation, Food and Drink, Weather and Travel, Window Shopping, Do you Need Help?, and Summer Plans. Each unit includes Learning Goals, 5 lessons plus one unit review, and a Self-Assessment checklist. Within each lesson there are two dialogues or texts, a New Words section introducing vocabulary in both simplified and traditional characters- as well as pinyin and English, Language Notes that discuss grammar and usage structures through explanation and example, Extend Your Knowledge supplementary vocabulary, A Glimpse into Chinese Culture, and a Do You Know? section that offers even more cultural information.
While the core of the textbook is written in simplified characters, vocabulary is also presented in traditional characters in ‘ the main body of the text and the Chinese-English, English-Chinese, and proper noun indices at the back of the book. Dialogues are also presented in traditional characters in a special index at the end of the textbook to facilitate dual-character learning.
How is Volume 2 different than Volume 1?
- Higher level vocabulary, grammar, and language structures
- Less pinyin to encourage students to memorize pronunciation
‘ ‘ – Volume 1 texts and dialogues included pinyin; Volume 2 and subsequent volumes’ texts/dialogues do not
‘ ‘ – Vocabulary tables, cultural content, and indexes still have pinyin
‘ ‘ – Pronunciation Practice section was present in Volume 1 only
- Story Behind, a new subsection of Glimpse into Chinese Culture, explains one idiom in greater detail
- Expand Your Word Power appears in each Unit Review and helps students learn new words based on what they’ve just learned
- New English-Chinese vocabulary index
- Covers approximately 500 essential characters, plus about 280 supplemental terms